We welcome consultations with shelters!
Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program at Cornell offers a range of consultative services to interested shelters. You may reach us:
For email consults at email@example.com
To request a telephone consult at (607) 253-3349
To request an in-shelter consultation by completing our Request for Consultation Services form.
- Email consultations: We answer questions that can be addressed briefly via email within 1-3 days of receipt of the inquiry.
- Voice Mail: We check our voice mail messages daily. We address these questions usually within 1- 3 days of their receipt. When you call, please leave an email address as well as a telephone number where you may be reached.
- Charges: We do not charge for email or telephone consultations.
In-shelter Consultations: (Back to top)
Our consultations in shelters usually involve either:
- Targeted consults: if you are experiencing a particular problem (such as an outbreak of disease) or you wish to improve specific aspects of animal care (such as reducing the incidence of a particular disease or improving your behavioral wellness program), we will visit your facility to investigate and make written recommendations to address the problem/issue.
- Full shelter health evaluations: If you would like us to evaluate your health- or behavior-related program overall, we conduct full shelter evaluations. The range of services we provide are outlined below.
- Range of services can include recommendations regarding:
- Outbreak investigation
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Health-related protocols regarding:
Animal and staff traffic patterns
- Case management in the shelter
- Behavior-related protocols regarding:
Canine and feline behavior assessment
Behavior modification in the shelter
Stress management for dogs and cats
- Evaluation and management of shelter statistics
- Shelter design
- Charges: We do charge for visits to shelters. We ask shelters to cover our travel costs (travel, lodging and food) and we charge for our professional services. In light of our recognition that shelters have limited resources, our fees are nominal. Please contact us for more information.
(Back to top)